Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Las Cruces, NM

How to Verify a Professional's License in Las Cruces?

Hiring a licensed professional should be the priority of all consumers in Las Cruces when planning a project. Generally, licensed professionals are more qualified than their unlicensed counterparts, and they are subject to regulatory safety requirements. The New Mexico Regulation and Licensing Department (NMRLD) is in charge of licensing professionals in Las Cruces that offer services across 35 industries, professions, and trades. You can check the NMRLD's online web lookup/verification portal to verify that a professional holds a valid license or you can contact the Department at (505) 476-4500 to inquire about a professional's license.

After verifying the validity of your intended professional's license, you should also ensure that you or the professional observe any local requirements necessary for the commencement and completion of your project. For instance, all homeowners or building owners are required to apply for the appropriate permit if they desire to commence a construction project in Las Cruces. Construction-related permits can be obtained from the Las Cruces Community Development Department. Interested persons can direct queries about these permits to this Department via email or by calling (575) 528-3059.

New Mexico Contractor License Search:

Do Las Cruces Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The neighborhoods across Las Cruces are grouped into six districts and governed by the City Council. The City Council comprises the City Mayor and six Councilors that are elected representatives from each of the six districts. Residents can get details of their neighborhood's district and the specific councilor in charge of their district via the Las Cruces online map. You can also request more information about the City Council by contacting (575) 541-2066. The City Council is responsible for making policies and developing a long-term vision for the city. However, even though the City Council does not issue home improvement or construction work permits, some of its functions include advocating on construction, safety, transportation, and other issues that affect Las Cruces' neighborhoods. For instance, in October 2021, the Las Cruces City Council approved close to $4 million in funding towards the construction of a new food bank building for residents suffering food insecurity. Similarly, in June 2021, the Council approved a housing grant agreement with Tierra Del Sol Housing Corporation to support housing development and park construction in East Mesa.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Las Cruces?

The New Mexico Office of the Attorney General is the agency in charge of protecting Las Cruces Consumers from unfair and deceptive business practices. In performing this duty, the Attorney General (AG) Office addresses unfair business complaints in the city through its Advocacy and Intervention Division and Consumer & Environmental Protection Divisions. Residents can file an unfair business complaint with the AG Office online or by mail. For mail submissions, residents need to obtain a Consumer Complaint Form, fill the form, and mail it to

  • Advocacy and Intervention Division
  • 201 North Church Street
  • Suite 315
  • Las Cruces, NM 88001

Upon receiving a complaint, the AG Office, through its Advocacy and Intervention Division, typically tries to mediate the issue between the consumer and the professional or business and help them reach a mutual settlement. However, note that the AG Office and its Divisions do not act as a private attorney for complainants, and they also do not guarantee monetary compensation for complainants. For personal representation or monetary compensation, the consumer may commence legal actions against the business or professional in their complaint. To commence legal actions for compensation, consumers can contact the Self-Help Center of the New Mexico Third Judicial District Court at (575) 528-8399 for assistance with small claims processes. Nonetheless, consumers are advised to consult a qualified attorney for the best legal option before commencing legal actions.